Thursday, March 23, 2006

Besieged!

I have been studying and meditating on Psalm 139 for the past couple of weeks so I thought I'd share one of the treasures that I found. Verse 5 says:

You have enclosed me behind and before...

At first glance I would say that this verse speaks of how God keeps us and protects us. And I do believe that is part of what it is saying. But I think God showed me more about this verse. As I searched and dug into it I discovered the word "enclosed" is literally translated "besieged". That really intrigued me!!! And so I looked up the word besieged and part of the definition was - surround with armed forces, for the purpose of compelling to surrender. That was a powerful picture for me! Again, I see God fighting FOR me in a huge way!!! How desperately I want to be wholly surrendered to God and yet I continue to hold back! BUT, God will do what it takes to accomplish it in me!! I don't stand a chance!!

Everytime I think of this verse now I smile and sometimes I even laugh!!!
The next time you are feeling frustrated with yourself for failing yet again... Remember! God's got you surrounded!!

2 comments:

Martha said...

If I must be beseiged, let it be by the LORD!

Bethany said...

Hey, I like that! That God is fighting to take control of me... boy, I better give up quick and surrender to Him!