Tuesday, August 08, 2006

History Test










We've been visiting my inlaws this week in Virginia. The weather seems to be about what it has been for us only they have air conditioning here. :)

On Sunday we went to the National D-Day Memorial. Seeing as I know next to NOTHING about WWII I was a bit bored cuz everything just went over my lil head. But Brett and the kids all enjoyed themselves. Probably Heather most of all as she's is my WWII history buff. We took the golf cart tour where our tour guide filled us in on all of the exhibits. He had me a bit nervous cuz he said that when we got to the plaques commemorating all of the fatalities there was a name on one of 'em that would just jump out at us. He said he'd have one of the ladies (referring to me or Heather) read the names and see if we could pick it out. Of course Heather insisted that I be the one put on the spot. And she knows more about WWII than I ever will! He said it hasn't failed him yet - EVERYONE catches this name.... My heart was thumping. Would I be the first to fail this little test and look like a complete idiot?! You can bet I was wishing that I had paid more attention in History class!! He pulls up to the plaque and asks me to read the names.... And the very second name, and I kid you not, read George W. Bush!!! Phew! I passed the test.... even lil ole me knew that George W. Bush couldn't have been a fatality in WWII! At least not THE George W. Bush. Our guide went on to explain that our president had a relative also named George W that died in WWII. He said that a guest caught the name on the plaque even before he saw it and he hung it up!!

1 comment:

Martha said...

So, you shouldn't have worried. You're much msarter than you give yourself credit for. (But I probably would have worried too.)