Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!







Like most people in the U.S., I spent the better part of today baking for tomorrow. I was in charge of desserts... So, I made a pumpkin pie (YUCK!), an apple pie, and also cookies cuz I had a special request to make chocolate chip cookies for s'mores. Tonight Heather is going to make a cherry pie and Jessi is going to make a fruit salad and then we are done! It wouldn't have taken me nearly so long except, as usual, I was quite unprepared. I started with the cookies and wouldn't you know, I didn't have any brown sugar. YIKES! You can't make cookies very well without brown sugar. Thankfully Brett was home and very willing to run to the store for me. Just after he left I realized that I only had 2 pie pans (I thought for sure I had at least 3 - but I can only find 2!) and I needed to make 3 pies. So, Brett came to my rescue again and got me some pie tins. Then I made the pumpkin pie. I got halfway through making it when I discovered that I only had skim milk. UGH! I didn't figure anyone would appreciate pumpkin pie made with skim milk - though what do I know? I don't like pumpkin pie anyways so maybe it would taste just as good that way... But Brett decided he didn't want to risk it and off to the store he went yet again!! He really is a good sport and deserves a gold medal for today!! I managed to finish the apple pie without having to run to the store again.... but Heather still has that cherry pie and Jessi has the fruit salad... I'm hoping! But I'm not promising anything!! :)

Now... Since I probably won't get to blog tomorrow I will write 13 things I'm thankful for!

1. God! He really is good to me even when I don't believe it!
2. Brett. He sure does put up with a lot from me.
3. My kids. They are each a blessing straight from God and without whom life would be pretty dull indeed.
4. My church. A place where I am challenged and stretched in my faith and above all loved in spite of all my imperfections.
5. Friends. Thanks for sticking by me through thick and through thin!
6. Digital cameras. I've spent many happy hours snapping away at things I never would have dared attempt to take had I been shooting film.
7. Laptops. I love that I can sit at the couch or up in my bedroom rather than at a desk!
8. Wireless. I'm becoming quite the couch potato!
9. Toe rings. They are just plain fun.
10. Books. I do have to be careful though cuz once I'm into a good book I'm not good for much else.
11. Music. I especially enjoy listening to my kids play.
12. Cordless phones. I can talk and fold the laundry at the same time.
13. Sugar. It just makes everything sweeter!

I'm so incredibly spoiled! It was hard to keep my list to only 13 things.
And I've decided, I really do like all the modern conveniences!! Guess I won't be turning Amish any time soon. :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I'm thankful for digital cameras too. They're so much fun! And, I'd definitely be thankful for a laptop if I happened to have one...

Amish? ... I think I might be able to do that for a little while... but I'd be ready to come back home too!

Rachel said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!