Monday, May 01, 2006

Hunting


My mom and I went hunting today. Here I am all decked out in camo!! Aren't I just the fashion statement? My mom has a friend that hunts with a bow and arrow and a gun - but today we were shooting with cameras. She agreed to teach us how we could get up close and personal to get a good shot. We had to buy scent free soap for our clothes and for the shower. We both forgot to buy the scent free deodorant so we had to go without. Aren't you glad you weren't there with us?! She sprayed us with a woodsy scented 'perfume'. YUCK!! But I suppose the deer and the turkey and other critters like it and that's what mattered today. She dressed us up in her camo from head to toe. My pants were several sizes too large - I think Jessi could have fit in them with me! :) We even had head nets which made it a little difficult to see. They are to keep the bugs away and also to hide your face. It got a little toasty hiking around in all those clothes! I had on extra thick socks too cuz my boots were too big for me. LOL. And somehow I was supposed to 'sneak around' in all this bulky/clunky garb.

Unfortunately there wasn't much out today. That's the way it goes with hunting I suppose. Sometimes you 'hit the jackpot' but most of the time... NOTHING! We did see some deer (I counted five) but I just couldn't get in close enough!! My mom got a couple of shots - but even with her 200 mm lens it still wasn't close enough. She also got a turkey... But again, it would have been nice if she had been able to get a little closer. But it was a good day and we had fun! I'm hoping to go out again sometime. Jessi wants to go hunting with us. And Heather too. Though she doesn't care about taking pictures - she just wants to dress up in camo and sneak around in the woods!

After our hunting excursion my mom took Jessi and I up to Durand Eastman Park where there was a nesting swan. I counted at least 3 eggs - but I really think I saw a 4th. Of course I took quite a few pix!! I want to go again early some morning and get better lighting! But I still like these pix. It would also be cool to be there when they hatch!!! My mom will be stopping to check on 'em often. And the rest of that area too. She says there is ALWAYS people over there taking pictures.


















5 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds like a "cool" day. Good thing it wasn't too hot outside. I really do like your outfit too.

Shelly said...

Thanks. The hat really put the finishing touches on my outfit!! Heather agrees.

Priscilla said...

I love the first shot of the swans the best! Great work!

Bethany said...

the swans are sooo pretty... I love the pics!

Shelly said...

Thanks Priscilla and Bethany! My favorite is the first as well. I discovered that they take turns sitting on the eggs - so I have no idea which is the mamma and which is the poppa. The one that was climbing up onto the nest took over for the one sitting on the eggs and that one swam off. Wouldn't that be great if our hubbies took over for a while when we were pregnant so we could have a break?!