Friday, March 09, 2007

Final Goodbyes...

In memory of V. Glenn McIninch
AKA, Grampy


Yesterday was the memorial service for my Grandfather. Today, I dedicate this blog to his memory....
He was slow and methodical in everything he did.

But he did everything well!

He loved my grandmother.

He loved his children, his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

He was quiet and thoughtful.

He was very intelligent.

He worked at Kodak.

Even after he retired they would hire him for various projects.

He designed his own home and built most of it too.

He included all kinds of hidden storage space and a laundry shoot too!

I never saw him angry.

He gave his heart to the Lord shortly before he died.

He loved to take pictures.

He has thousands of slides of his family and various vacations and trips.

He had a darkroom in his house and taught my mom and my aunt how to develop black and white prints.

He was very distinguished.

He travelled all over the world.

He loved Spanish.

He enjoyed windsurfing.

He enjoyed life!

He liked SPICY foods - though I never could make it spicy enough!!

He fell into a butter churn when he was a toddler.

He lived through the dust bowl and the depression.

He gave me my first car.

He was born in 1914.

He grew up in Oklahoma.

He married my Grandmother in 1939.

He loved to share with us about his childhood.

He had 9 siblings but only 6 survived infancy.

He liked to create things.

Growing up he created many toys for his siblings.

His favorite was the ferris wheel that he built in their backyard that you could actually ride on!

His favorite holiday was Halloween.

He liked to play tricks on the kids that came back for seconds.

He was an amazing gardener.

He could carve cool animals out of his bushes.

He loved history.

My mom is named after him. (She was supposed to be a boy!)

He was married to my grandmother for 68 years!





Goodbye Grampy! You will be missed - but I'm soooo thankful I will be seeing you again. :)

4 comments:

Gudl said...

Now I have tears in my eyes! Your grandpa would have liked this post! Yes, it is great that he is in heaven! Hope to meet him there!

Rachel said...

Lots of happy memories! It's so awesome that you will see him in heaven.

Martha said...

One of God's greatest gifts to children is their grandparents. I will always treasure the memories of mine and so look forward to seeing some again and meeting others for the very first time in heaven.

Thank you for the post.

Shelly said...

God is sooo good to me. And so often I fail to see it....