Monday, March 26, 2007

Teena Update

I took Teena to the surgeon today hoping to get an evaluation on her leg. Not only is surgery needed for her leg but she also has PDA and if left untreated she will develop congestive heart failure at an early age. Of course the heart is of primary concern and they won't even touch the leg until that is taken care of. According to our contract the breeder guarantees the heart but all that means is that they exchange dogs - not pay for surgery. I know we've only had Teena for a little over a week - but we already love her. We really need to hear God in this!! We have emailed the breeder and asked for her help in paying for the surgery....

Thanks everyone for your prayers.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

So sad. If you trade her, what happens to her? I will pray for you guys in this.

judi/Gmj said...

My heart goes out to you, I was in a similar situation; Pearl, a German shepard puppy, had to have a hyster first thing, ok on that, but then the stomach trouble hit, switched foods, made food, every time she would eat, she would get sick and shivers, vet said necrotizing colitis. In other words, her gut was dying bit by bit. Treatment? steroids for life, which wasn't an option as that would damage kidneys and heart. The hardest thing I have ever done and I mean the hardest thing, was to put her to sleep. You have my prayers.

Shelly said...

Thanks for the prayers...

We got a reply from the breeder. She is not willing to give us any money towards the surgery. Our two options are to trade her in OR select a second dog to keep. She's trying to scale down and I guess that's her way of doing it. I have a feeling that if we were to trade her in she wouldn't be treated.... So... that's where we are with things right now!

Martha said...

I don't think I'm understanding.
"Our two options are to trade her in OR select a second dog to keep." Would she give you a second dog?

Shelly said...

That's how we understand her reply. I think she's mostly trying to 'clean house' cuz she just has too many puppies and can't keep up!!