Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Photo Walk

Monday night I went to a photography seminar. During the seminar they showed a video clip of a guy who goes out at least once a week to photograph anything and everything that looks interesting. He says it helps keeps his 'edge' and reminds him of why he fell in love with photography in the first place. Admittedly, it's easy to get into the "all business" mode of photography! And you stop taking pictures except for business. So, yesterday I went around my block with camera in hand. Admittedly, I couldn't keep 'stock' out of my mind. *sigh* But I tried. I took only my 'bad boy lens' (70-200mm) and I found that I missed being able to switch lenses on a whim! I'm trying to decide if the next time I should force myself to use the same lens or if I should choose another and see what different things I find!

Anyways, here's a few that I took on my little jaunt....







I went out again while Jessi was at gymastics. I guess I got a little patriotic! :)


This statue of an eagle was is in front of my bank. Every angle had tons of distractions.... but I really liked the McDonalds in background.... After-all you can't get much more American than McDonalds. hahaha!! I had to work at it quite a bit to get it just the way I wanted. For this shot I had to get down low. Otherwise you got all the cars in the parking lot.... I wanted the McDonalds sign blurred in the background - but not so blurry that you couldn't tell that it was a McDonald's! I'm thinking about getting rid of the flag pole!



Another angle where I was able to totally blur out all of the background.


I caught the last few minutes of Jessi's gymnastics class! Don't ask me how they manage to jump like this and land on the balance beam! But I think Jessi only fell off once! Needless to say, I was impressed!!!!

I hope you enjoyed my photo walk! :)

8 comments:

Martha said...

I love taking my camera for a photo walk too. The good thing about not being a "professional" is that I NEVER think of business while I'm out. It's all pleasure.

I like the eagle with the McDonald's in the background too.

Rachel said...

Very nice, I did enjoy it!

Martha said...

Now that I've walked around the block myself, the little bench does appear miniature in the photo. You had me fooled for a little bit.

The pump across the street from the bench caught my eye,

judi/Gmj said...

yep, us nonprofessionals are free to be meeee.... just taking shots that arn't blurry are good. LOL, what is a reflector got to do with photos??? That is what I use to have on my bike so cars wouldn't hit me. Ignorance is bliss so don't tell me, :)

Bethany said...

Oh, our little town is so lovely through your eyes. I must say, I like the garbage truck shot. So natural!

Shelly said...

Yeah, I saw the pump too! But didn't take a picture. Maybe next time 'round.

I'm trying best to not explain a reflector.... but it is soooo hard! As reflectors are very important to photographers. *sigh*

Martha said...

Where in the world did that eagle go? I thought they were putting it away last winter but it never reappeared. How sad! (Maybe it was too patriotic?)

Shelly said...

I see the eagle....