Monday, June 12, 2006

Snakes, Insects, Cygnets, and Other Critters

My mom and I went shooting today.  First we headed out to Mendon Ponds Park in the hopes of getting some beaver shots and possibly some chickadees.  We were told they would eat right out of your hands there.  After quite sometime of searching we finally found the beaver pond.  We saw 4 or 5 beaver huts....  but alas!  No beavers in sight!!  (I'd still be interested in going to the one in Canandaigua - Priscilla????)  We did find a snake and a toad.  I was kinda bummed cuz actually at one point the snake had the toad's foot in his mouth and that would have been an awesome nature shot (albeit kinda gross!) but the frog managed to wiggle free from the snake before I got the shot.  I'm sure the toad was relieved even if I was a bit disappointed. 
 
We didn't see any chickadees.  We've decided we'll head back come winter time.  That's when they are more desperate for food and then maybe we'll get 'em eating out of our hands.
 
We saw TONS of deer!  They were everywhere!  But....  I still could not get close enough.  I desperately want a longer lens for my camera.  I'm sure I could have gotten SOMETHING today if only....  But I suppose I'm coveting...  and I've heard that coveting isn't such a good thing to do..... 
 
I resorted to taking pix of insects.  There were oodles of grasshopper nymphs and several dragon flies as well as other insects.  But poor Jessi just wasn't herself today and didn't seem to want to hang around just to take pictures of insects even if my mom and I would have been able to amuse ourselves for the entire day!
 
We went over to visit the swans.  All three ponds had their babies.  The first pond (where Martha and I went shooting a few weeks ago) had the most babies (I think there were 5) and the third pond only had two hatch.  We heard that a snapping turtle got one of the babies - but we don't know if that was rumor or not as there have been numerous rumors flying around about the swans!
 
We also went roaming a neighborhood in the Irondequoit area that my mom frequents.  She's seen deer everywhere in this little area and we weren't disappointed.  Right off the bat we saw a momma and her fawn.   Although I snapped a few pictures...  I didn't really get anything worth showing....  (covet, covet!)
 
Though I had many disappointments it was still a good day and I did get a few pictures that I liked.  And I was thankful for the beautiful weather.  Poor Jessi though...  She was really dragging by the end of the day.  I knew she didn't look or act herself most of the day and she seemed to get worse and worse.  By the time we got home she was feeling rather warm and sure enough!  She was running a temp of 101.5!  UGH!!  She zonked out on the couch almost immediately!  Sure hope she's feeling better in the morning.
 
We did have some bad news today too...  The article about Kyle that we submitted to Highlights was rejected.  They said that it didn't fit their current needs.  On the good side, they told us to keep submitting!  That part was handwritten and not simply a part of a standard form letter so we are taking that to mean that they really did like our work....  they just didn't see that particular article fitting in with their current needs. 
 
That about wraps up my day!  I'm all pooped out!  :)
 
(I'm having trouble with uploading pix...  will have to add them later!)

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

I've had the same experience so far. Beaver huts...but no beavers.

I'll try and ask a friend about the one pond I've never actually been to but have heard about. Maybe we could have luck there?

Martha said...

Poor Jess, she just can't seem to stay ahead of feeling yuck.

I'm glad you at least had a decent day to be outside even if the shooting wasn't all that great. Maybe next time...

Shelly said...

Thanks Priscilla! Keep me posted.

Yes, it was a beautiful day out and I enjoyed getting out even if I didn't get exactly what I wanted.

Let me know when you want to go out again. Sorry for cancelling on you! I just didn't want to put my mom off again and that was the only day she could do!!

Martha said...

We'll catch up again. It was good for me to be home on Monday as James and Nathan showed up around 4 o'clock. Besides, now I'll have the camera.